Click on the image to visit Temple Aliyah's website.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

An Interesting Morning


I finally got to visit Beit HaNasi (the official residence of the President of Israel) and meet Israel's President, Shimon Peres.  I say “finally,” because the apartment I'm living in during my stay here in Israel is just down the street from Beit HaNasi, and I pass it several times a week.


I had been wondering when I would get the opportunity to step inside.

Just yesterday, I learned that the eighth graders from the Solomon Schechter Day School of Greater Boston, who are finishing up their Israel trip, were going to be visiting Beit HaNasi this morning. 



I had been looking forward to meeting up with the group (six of whom are from Temple Aliyah), and to think that they were going to be right down the block!  

And so I walked over to Beit HaNasi and met the group as it was arriving. It was great to see them, particularly our shul's kids.  They looked well and seemed to be having a great time.  




In addition, I was permitted to enter Beit HaNasi with them, which was a real treat.  



The residence and grounds are very impressive.  We saw the Garden of Peace, where the former Pope once planted an olive tree, and where President Obama is expected to plant a tree that he will be bringing with him from the United States. We saw the synagogue, which is a cozy, handsome structure with a dramatic ark. 


(Those are the Hebrew words for, "And there was light," inscribed on the front.)

We saw the room where the President greets dignitaries, such as President Obama, who is expected here in just two days.  


And we saw President Peres.  He is as dignified and urbane in person as he appears in the press. He greeted us warmly and with gentle humor.  (Note the two security guards on either side of Mr. Peres' secretary.)



All in all, it was an interesting morning.  

On my way back, it started to hail.  Yes, hail!

This, coming so soon after the swarms of locusts flying over the border from Egypt, gave me pause. What next? Boils?